Monday, August 3, 2009

spaghetti

I am a planner. I like to know of things, events, schedules, etc. way in advance. I love to write things down in my little red calendar. So when Josh tells me, Saturday afternoon, we're having some East Side kids over for Sunday lunch, my reaction was less than enthusiastic. I quickly go into 'how am I going to cook for a bunch of kids when I'm not that great in the kitchen?' mode. And then the 'how are we going to pay for this?' mode. And then sadly, 'wouldn't it just be easier to take them back home after church?' mode. However, as we headed into the busy Wal-Mart that evening, we came up with a meal that would be easy and cost efficient: spaghetti. Noodles, sauce, texas toast, a box of chocolate chip cookies and some Capri-Sun to finish it off. That wasn't so bad.
As the nine of us gathered around our table to share a meal together, I realized it wasn't so bad. In fact, it was good. Something happens when you open your home, your table, your family to others. The meal didn't last very long, Anna Grace didn't eat very much, and the spaghetti itself could have been much better but it was the start of something new. May God bless our table and those who come and eat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura- I just love your total honesty, amd more than that I love your heart! You guys are the most "real" people that I know!
Love, Kerri

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Breaking bread together bakes community and create growth in the Vision. Great job.
Glenn

Jeanine said...

As soon as I read the very first sentence I knew this wasn't Josh writing... :) Laura, you go wit'cha bloggin' self! Love u girl!

Kris said...

What beautiful memories you are creating with the kids.... I know it's hard, but if you are faithful in the small things, God will reward you with the big things. I loved watching Anna Grace interact with the kids... SHE is the Bridge.... she will break the boundaries and create the bond..
As the kids and Anna Grace grow, you will never have to worry about her..she has a crowd of big brothers and sisters that will watch out for her..
I love you both.. please let me know if I can do anything to help.
Aunt K

Unknown said...

Laura - It's good to hear you made it and things are going well. Those kids will never forget that spaghetti dinner you can count on that! Continue to follow God's lead and roll with it!

Love,
Michele S.
Bagley Swamp

The LeRoys said...

Love this Laura. You are incredible. Your willing spirit is a huge inspiration to us, and must be the most important encouragement to Josh. We love you!

Luke and Lindsay said...

Laura, I love hearing how God is moving in even these ways that seem small to us. I hope this is the start of many more meals around your table.- Lindsay