Monday, December 29, 2008

confessions of a stay-at-home dad


Since I was a little boy, I've wanted to be a lot of things. I wanted to be a fireman until I realized that it required inserting oneself into life-threatening situations. I also wanted to be a basketball player, but discipline and athletic ability were never strong suits of mine. I'm sure there were other vocational ambitions that I harbored along with these two, but one thing I never imagined myself being was a stay-at-home dad. I never stayed awake at night dreaming of changing diapers, or spoon-feeding applesauce. But every weekday, from 8:00 til 12:00, that's my job. I pick up Cheerios, wipe noses, read books with cardboard pages, tie shoes, watch Sesame Street, and position hair bows. I buckle car seats, plan field trips, and and beg for kisses. On a good day she takes a nap and I take a shower. On a bad day she dumps her milk on the floor, refuses to put clothes on, and we both cry for mommy to come home. There are some days when I never get a moment to pause and think. There are some days she and I are both painfully aware that I have virtually no idea what in the world I'm doing. There are some days when I think about all the things I need to do but can't do because Anna Grace demands all of my attention. There are even days when I wish I were a fireman or a basketball player. More often though, there are days when she learns something new that I helped to teach her; days when I don't have to beg for kisses or count down the minutes until 12:00. And so I realize that I am richly blessed. My work is its own reward, and my boss is a beautiful little girl whose only flaw is her flair for getting jelly in her hair.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Josh.... you are soooo funny... isn't is amazing, when you are at your wits end, she looks up and offers you one of those priceless kisses and bats her eyes... that's when you feel like King of the Mountain, Michael Jordan, and all of those "stars"....
You are an awesome daddy.. the time you have with her is fleeting. Before long, she will get on the bus, be in sports, go to her first dance, first date, and you will reflect on wishing you could have one more day of jelly in her hair...
Aunt K

Anonymous said...

you are a hero. you are raising a little girl and showing her an example of what a Godly man looks like, loving your wife and giving your heart to her...all while stepping into community waters that most people in your area don't dare get wet in.

i admire you my friend

Scooper said...

Hey Josh! I clicked over from Matt's blog. (This is his sis.) Hilarious post.

Sometimes I cry for the mommy to come home too and then I realize, "Crap, I am the mommy."

Volunteer opportunities said...

She is adorable. I love her eyes. You are an amazing dad raising your cute little girl. I absolutely admire you.

Brooke said...

Wow, hard to believe the Josh LeRoy I once knew wrote that. How are you old friend? I stumbled upon your blog and just read this post. Isn't being a parent the best? Never a dull moment but so rewarding!! Hope we can keep in touch. Best, Brooke