Monday, August 25, 2008

Movin' on up

About two weeks ago, Laura and I made the somewhat difficult decision to move closer to the people that God has called us to. Whether or not to move to the east side has been an issue of much contention since we began our ministry. Among all of the questions that we have mulled over, one has resounded above the rest; is it necessary? Is it necessary to uproot our family and move across town? Is it necessary to move out of a comfortable house in a comfortable neighborhood, and into a somewhat less comfortable neighborhood? Is it necessary to move into such close proximity to a people so different than us? The answer to that question, I have found, depends on just what it is we're trying to accomplish. If our mission is to serve the east side, to provide resources, and to give to the needy, then no it is not in any way necessary for us to relocate. But, if our mission is to establish solidarity with a community, then yes we have to move. And that is what God has called us to. Above and beyond my call to minister, God has called me to be a student. He has called me to that because there is much I need to learn. I need to learn humility. I need to learn submission. I need to learn to share. Much of what I have to learn can only be gleaned by sitting at the feet of a people who have lived a radically different existence than mine. Humility, patience, endurance, and forgiveness can best be taught by those who have been forced to the edges of society. In short, we have things to learn that only the east side can teach us. So, we're not just moving there so we can better meet their needs. We're moving there because we know that we need them as much as they need us. Now, all of this doesn't mean that we're going to pull the plug on all of our ministries. There's just a big difference between ministering to a community, and ministering in a community.

7 comments:

Timothy said...

I think that's a good move. I did it. Of course now I'm living in the middle of corn surrounded by the remnants of that arian race in Northern Michigan. The people are nice but the soul food is lacking. Hope to see you soon.

Kris said...

The Will of God will never lead you where the Grace of God cannot keep you...... pawpaw lived by that statement and so will you. I love you guys and am so proud of you.
Aunt K

dan said...

well said!

jeremiah said...

GREAT word bro.
I am humbled by your obedience and courage as a leader, keep it up...and dont lose that jumper.

Kris said...

So, Are you settled in yet?????

T.Gray said...

.....and being ministered to by a community.
Blessings-Tom

P C & O LEADERSHIP TEAM said...

Laura and Josh I found your picasa web album-God has so blessed you with a beautiful family. Laura I miss you!
Love
Teresa Cordon