Monday, October 29, 2007

Perfectly imperfect

I am a perfectionist. Certain things have to be a certain way. Now, you would never think that I was a perfectionist by looking at me or my place of residence. The pants that I am currently wearing have not been washed in over a week, and my shoes are not all lined up at the foot of my bed. Yet, despite the overwhelming evidence of untidiness, I am a perfectionist none the less. One need look no further than this blog for ample proof. Not only do I use spell check on every post, but I've even been known to consult a dictionary before I click publish. That's right ladies and gentlemen, I actually spell check my spell check. But if you think my blogging habits are bad, you should see me prepare a sermon. Every sentence must be measured for articulation and insight. What causes me to exhibit such anal retentive tendencies? Why do I lose sleep and peace over words? Why do I preach as if one stutter, one stumble, or one drawn blank will bring an onslaught of rotten tomatoes from an unimpressed congregation?

I could come up with a lot of noble reasons for my plight. I could tell you that I want to be a good steward, and present a clear, meaningful message. I've believed each of those reasons at one time or another. But ultimately it comes down to this; I'm afraid to be vulnerable, or to be real, for fear of rejection. My words need to be perfect, because I need to be accepted. I'm realizing that this is not how God intended me to live. God wants me to be at peace, and to have a sense of contentment and rest, no matter what value others may give me.

On a related note, I've been thinking a lot about entire sanctification lately. I've been trying to imagine what it might look like. I think it will look different for different people, seeing as how we have all taken different detours from the path of righteousness. I believe that for me, it will look a lot like contentment. There will be a ceasing of all striving and straining. Peace and rest will finally come to replace my compulsive self-reliance. To me, perfection is finally being able to embrace my imperfections. I will be perfect when I stop trying to be perfect. God is worthy of my trust. He is far more reliable than my intellect. He's even got a step on spell check.

3 comments:

Matt Guthrie said...

Hmmm... interesting post. I'd like to hear more words from you on entire sanctification. I know what the party line is on the matter and I know what I think about it. Neither one of us follow that line exactly, but I'd say I'm much closer (not saying that is good or bad). But I'm sure there's more in that brilliant mind of yours. Please, say more.

P C & O LEADERSHIP TEAM said...

nothing to do with your post
BUT how is Anna Grace and Laura?
Teresa Cordon

Tell Laura to write me an e-mail :)

T.Gray said...

Josh, would you consider a broader appreciation of Sabbath as another step toward sanctification? If so, check out Norman Wirzba's "Living the Sabbath." BTW, Diane and Glenn Trogdon turned me on to your blog.
Shalom Shabbat-Tom